If you are looking for a kids activity that includes the wonderful smell of the holidays this Orange Scented Play Dough should work for you!
Oranges I know ripen at different times of the year – depending on the variety and the place they are growing of course, but somehow I just associate orange and spice with the fall and winter season.
This Scented Dough was the perfect addition to our fall table at school and worked very nicely with the cinnamon scented – no cream of tartar play dough and no cook clove scented play dough we also included on the sensory table… all the smells together smelled wonderful!
Orange Scented Dough Ingredients
This play dough uses the same base as our ‘best play dough ever.’ It does need a little cook – but the cooking is totally worth it – as it lasts for MONTHS in the fridge in a sealed zip lock or container.
Orange Scented Play Dough Ingredients:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 2 cups water
- 1Tsp vegetable oil
- 4tsp cream of tartar
- food coloring
- Orange scented aromatherapy oil (you can buy some here: – affiliate link – Orange Essential Oil. 10 ml. 100% Pure, Undiluted, Therapeutic Grade.)
- Add a few drops of food coloring (orange) to the water and stir in well.
- Mix all the ingredients together in a big pot and then put it onto the stove.
- At first the mixture is quite runny, but after a few minutes on the stove it forms a dough.
- Keep string continuously, make sure to stir the bottom of the pot so it does not burn.
- In about 2 minutes your mixture will be like dough.
- Take it out, allow it to cool and knead like bread a few times.
- Add the Orange Oil – a few drops – to the dough as you knead it. Your hands will smell lovely afterwards!