These Homemade Gel Paints are so easy to make, extremely cheap – in comparison to store bought paint – and completely edible!
Gel paint introduces a new texture – slightly squishy – slightly squashy, but paintable – and SMOOTH!
Cornstarch is added to this mixture – and when it heats up it thickens and turns clear. Cornstarch is added to desert recipes like Lemon Pie filling – for this exact reason. When it cools, it sets – like jelly…
1. Add the Corn Starch to 1 cup of luke warm water.
Stir well – until smooth and completely dissolved.
2. Put the rest of the water – 3 cups – onto the stove top and bring to a boil.
3. When the water is boiling, add the corn starch mixture and stir – continuously.
4. Keep stirring – the liquid will change consistency after a few minutes and start to thicken up – it will not get to the thickness of the paint you want – as this ONLY happens when it cools. Stir and keep the pot going until it changes from a milky white into a vaseline like color.
5. Take off the stove and pour into individual containers – we used baby food jars!
6. When the mixture has cooled add food coloring – for pastel shades just a little – add a little more for bright bold colors. (as always when using food coloring you need to use a tiny bit only to color paint – so start off with a tip of a tooth pick and add more from there!)
And then you are done!!
What can you use gel paints for?
Gel Bath Paint works a treat!
Using them for painting onto card or paper makes for a fun kids art project! The colors come up beautifully and the texture is new for children – they will love it!
A great recipe for MUCH fun!!
Gel paint will store well for about 3 days – and then it thins down and becomes very runny.
This is a paint to make and use!