This NO COOK Chocolate & Cherry Play Dough makes the best Reindeer Christmas Activity for Kids!
Is is so easy to make – and it smells – like chocolate!!!
Other than the play dough (recipes below) I added googly eyes and pipe cleaners – so we could make antlers!
Chocolate Play Dough Recipe:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup powdered cocoa
- 1 cup salt
- 2 Tbs Cream of Tartar
- 2 Tbs cooking oil
- 1.5 cups boiling water
- (optional) 1 Tbs glycerine
- Add all the dry ingredients together and mix well
- Add the boiling water, oil, glycerine and stir until all mixed together
- Knead – like bread – until the play dough all comes together and is soft
- The cocoa will make your hands a little chocolatey – while making it – but after it is kneaded the chocolate does not come off or stain – only smells great!!
- If your mixture is a little dry – add more water – a little at at a time and knead again
- If your mixture is a little sticky add flour – a little at a time and knead again
Cherry Play Dough
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup salt (normal fine table salt)
- 2 Tbsp cream of tartar
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil (sunflower)
- 1 cup of boiling water + another 1/2 a cup to add in little bits…
- red food coloring
- 1 tsp glycerine – optional. This adds more shine and silky feel!
- Cherry oil or essence (optional)
Cherry Play Dough Method:
1. Add all the dry ingredients together and stir (flour, salt and cream of tartar)
2. If you are going to add color to the play dough, add the food coloring to the cup of boiling water – first – as this will make for evenly spread color (instead of kneading it in later.) You need more coloring than you think – this red glass above is the orange color – as it dilutes when mixed… I use Wilton Gel Color for the best results – as the color is concentrated and comes up real bright – but of course any food coloring will do!
3. Add the first cup of water to the dry ingredients along with the oil and give it a stir. If you want to add the optional glycerin – now is the time. This really is an optional ingredient! I also added cherry oil to my dough – as I wanted a smell – but this too is completely optional.
4. Add the remaining 1/2 cup boiling water now, a little at a time until all the flour is absorbed. I usually use almost all the water…
5. Wait for it to cool to warm and knead like bread.
Hope you enjoy making reindeer as much as we did! For more Christmas Ideas and Inspiration have a look at our 12 DAYS of CHRISTMAS – where 60 bloggers from around the world are sharing all their Christmas Ideas!
If you want to see a HUGE collection of Play Dough Ideas for Autumn just click here!…